Jul 27,2018 - Jul 29,2018 Time: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
This hands-on three-day technical course will provide participants with the basic knowledge and skills necessary to use Marxan with Zones to design a multi-zone marine conservation area. Participants will use GIS tools (ArcGIS or QGIS) and Marxan with Zones to set up scenarios during the hands-on exercises. This course will cover technical and non-technical topics including:
• What is Marxan and Marxan with Zones?
• What questions can MwZ address in the context of systematic conservation planning, marine spatial planning and integrated coastal zone management?
• When is MwZ the right tool? When is it not?
• How can MwZ help integrate socio-economic and environmental concerns?
• To what extent can MwZ support making difficult decisions regarding trade-offs between stakeholder groups?
• Case studies presenting the use of MwZ around the world
• How to generate MwZ input files
• Setting MwZ parameters and calibration
• Interpreting and presenting MwZ results
• Comparing and evaluating MwZ solutions and scenarios
To enable trainees to successfully use Marxan with Zones to solve spatial conservation planning problems.
Participants need to have a basic to intermediate knowledge of GIS and GIS software (ArcGIS or QGIS) to be able to complete hands-on exercises. Previous experience with Marxan is not required.
Participants will be required to bring their own computers. Software required for the course will be provided by course organizers.
The regular fee per participant is CAN$650. For students and NGOs the fee per participant is CAN$550. This fee includes printed materials, lunches and coffee breaks. After July 7th a late fee will be applied of CAN$725.
Course cancellation policy
PacMARA reserves the right to cancel Marxan courses at any time. Generally, courses will be confirmed at least two weeks (and no later than one week) before the start date of a course. If PacMARA must cancel a course due to low attendance or unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of PacMARA, you will be entitled to a full refund of the course fee, or your course fee can be credited towards a future course. PacMARA is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred by you as a result of such cancellation. Every effort will be made to avoid cancelling any planned course, but please understand that as a charitable organization we must cover the costs involved.
University of Toronto