This hands-on four-day technical course will provide participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to use Marxan and Marxan with Zones for designing conservation areas and/or planning multiple uses in marine and terrestrial environments.
During the first two days, participants will learn how to successfully use Marxan and covering both technical and non-technical topics including:
• Overview of key principles of systematic conservation planning in Marxan
• What is Marxan? What problems is it good at solving?
• How to generate Marxan input files in ArcGIS or QGIS
• Setting Marxan parameters and calibration in Zonae Cogito
• Exploring different scenarios
** The first two days are required for practitioners without previous experience using Marxan **
During the next two days, participants will learn the technical aspects of using Marxan with Zones (MarZones), and additional topics including:
• When is MarZone is the right tool? When is it not?
• How can MarZone help integrate socio-economic and environmental concerns?
• Case studies presenting the use of MarZone
• Description of MarZone input files
• Setting MarZone parameters and calibration
• Interpreting and presenting MarZone results
• Comparing and evaluating MarZone scenarios
Participants need to have a basic to intermediate knowledge of GIS and GIS software (ArcGIS or QGIS) to be able to complete hands-on exercises.
Previous experience with Marxan is only required for the MarZone course component.
Participants might need to bring their own computers. Software required for the course will be provided by course organizers at least 2 weeks before the course.
Two day Introduction to Marxan Course: CAN$575. For students, post-docs and NGOs the fee is CAN$475.
Two day Introduction to Marxan with Zones Course: CAN$575. For students, post-docs and NGOs the fee is CAN$475.
Intro to Marxan + Intro to MarZone (4 days): CAN$725. For students, post-docs and NGOs the fee is CAN$615.
Course cancellation policy
PacMARA reserves the right to cancel Marxan courses at any time. Generally, courses will be confirmed at least one week before the start date of a course. If PacMARA must cancel a course due to low attendance or unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of PacMARA, you will be entitled to a full refund of the course fee, or your course fee can be credited towards a future course. PacMARA is not responsible for travel fees, or any expenses incurred by you as a result of such cancellation. Every effort will be made to avoid cancelling any planned course, but please understand that as a charitable organization we must cover the costs involved.