Introduction to Marxan and MarZone – Online Course
September 27 @ 8:30 am - September 30 @ 12:30 pm
This hands-on four-day technical online course will provide participants with the basic knowledge and skills necessary to use Marxan and Marxan with Zones (MarZone) in a marine conservation planning exercise. Participants will use ArcGIS or QGIS plug-ins (by Apropos), and Zonae Cogito to set up Marxan and MarZone scenarios during the hands-on exercises.to set up Marxan scenarios during the hands-on exercises.
The first two days will cover:
- Introduction to Systematic Conservation Planning (SCP)
- Introduction to Marxan: how it works and its role as a decision support tool in SCP
- Marxan preparatory analysis and description of input files
- Description of Marxan outputs, interpretation and visualization
- Marxan parameters calibration and scenario building
The following two days will include:
- Introduction to MarZone as a decision support tool for multi-zone planning
- Description of MarZone input files and scenario setting
- Description of MarZone outputs, interpretation and visualization
- Calibrating MarZone Zones parameters and trade-off analysis
Participants will have access to presentations, workbook and datasets to complete the exercises.
The instructor for this course is Norma Serra-Sogas.
Course format, duration and pre-requisites
The course will include a combination of online lectures and hands-on exercises to be completed offline. The instructor will be available during offline hours to answer questions from participants for the duration of the course.
The real-time online sessions of the course will be delivered via Zoom.
The course will run over four days, 3.5 hours a day.
Online lectures will start at 8:30 am Pacific Time and end at 12:30 pm Pacific Time , with a 10 to 15 min break.
Participants are expected to have a working knowledge of GIS and GIS software (ArcGIS or QGIS) to be able to complete the hands-on exercises.
For students and postdocs the course fees are CAN$615
Regular course fees CAN$750
Registration and Payment
To register, click on the “Register” below and complete the registration form. Information about how to complete your registration and payment details will be e-mailed to you shortly.
Contact Norma Serra at nserra[at]pacmara.org for questions about the course and registration.