Introduction to Marxan Connect
March 9 @ 8:30 am - March 10 @ 4:30 pm
This 2-day hands-on technical course is tailored for conservation practitioners, academics, and decision-makers interested in learning more about connectivity and how it can be incorporated in protected area network planning using Marxan Connect. Through a series of in-class presentations and hands-on exercises, course participants will gain the basic knowledge and skills necessary to preprocess connectivity data, run Marxan, and interpret results within the app.
What is Marxan Connect?
The Marxan Connect application is a Graphical User Interface (GUI) designed to help conservation practitioners include “connectivity” in their protected area network planning. The term “connectivity” has a variety of definitions (e.g., larval connectivity, genetic connectivity, landscape connectivity) and protected area networks can be optimized for various connectivity objectives. Marxan Connect is intended to guide conservation practitioners to preprocess and prepare connectivity data for inclusion in the widely-used decision-support tool, Marxan.
Topics covered during this course:
- Introduction to “connectivity” definitions, concepts, and data types
- Main approaches for integrating connectivity data into protected area network planning
- How can Marxan Connect facilitate the inclusion of connectivity in protected area network planning?
- How to set up and run Marxan Connect with connectivity data
- How to interpret Marxan results within the Marxan Connect app
- Participants need to a basic knowledge of Marxan (e.g., understanding of the different input and outputs files needed to run Marxan) to be able to complete the hands-on exercises.
- Participants will need to bring their own computers. Software required for the course and other relevant information will be provided by course organizers at least 10 days before the course.
Early registration (until February 17th) is CAN$150.
Standard registration is CAN$200.
Please, complete the form below to register. Payment information will be provided after registration is completed.