PacMARA and UBC received a grant from SSHRC (Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council) to hold a workshop on Marine EBM Implementation on 9-10 May 2011 at the Institute of Ocean Sciences in Sidney, BC!
The objectives of the Marine EBM Implementation Workshop included:
1. Applying the Sidney Consensus EBM principles as a starting point to discuss a range of obstacles and possible approaches to EBM implementation.
2. Considering together perspectives of governance reform, including legal, policy, institutional, socioeconomic, First Nations, and industry-related obstacles and approaches to EBM implementation.
3. Discussing approaches to implementing EBM through public policy, marine spatial planning, decision support tools, and case studies from local and related international processes.
4. Using the strategic roadmapping format to clearly articulate the intended final outcomes in applying the principles, and discuss the precursor outcomes that are necessary and sufficient to overcome obstacles and achieve intended results.
5. A working group is now meeting after the workshop to map the agreed-upon actions, and the intermediate and final desired outcomes. The resultant strategy roadmap will identify gaps in existing research and knowledge, clarify roles, responsibilities, jurisdictions, and collaborations, and serve as an assessment tool to set priorities and measure progress under resource limitations.
For more information on the details and outcomes of the workshop, please click here.